Formerly a port, the Cumbrian village of Arnside on Morecombe Bay was historically part of Westmorland. The oldest building in the parish is a Peel tower built in the fourteenth century as a refuge against raids from the Border Reivers and the Scots. Arnside Tower was once home to Ann Wheeler, who published a book of stories in Westmorland Dialect in 1790 and wrote for the local press in Standard English.




Image by Unknown, Arnside, unknown